Holy or Holly Spirit Inspirations?

A reflection on discipleship

Dear R and J,


I learnt that moving images have a way to disrupt one's ability to imagine. When one reads, he engages in lively imagination with the written text. But when one watches a movie, his mind is fed with quick succession of images (about 60 images per second!) leaving little space for it to form its own.


One C.S. Lewis book which I wanted to read is The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Before I had a chance to read it, it became a Hollywood motion picture. So I eagerly watched it on TV one day thinking that it will be the same as reading it. Well, I deeply regretted doing so. The film did not do justice to the writer's intent. I knew I had been short-changed. So when I saw the book the other day in the library, I took it up to read it. Sadly, I couldn't read it anymore. The images from the film dominated my mind when I was reading it, disabling my ability to engage in lively imagination with the written text. The text was not given a chance to speak for itself. I wasn't able to pick up the unspoken nuances found between the written words, the film's images totally replaced them (Urgh!). So I put the book back in the shelf, and walked away disappointed. 


Reading God's Word is much likened to reading any book. The reader likewise engages in lively imagination when reading the Bible. Yet a significant difference is that the reader is not doing it alone. The Holy Spirit is involved in tutoring the mind of the reader, filling it with "biblical imaginations" (a phrase by Michael Card). As Psalms 119:18 says: "Open my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law."  The reader of God's Word submits his mental faculty to the Holy Spirit, seeking Him to unveil the truths hidden within the written text.  


I often find that the narratives in the Bible are fascinating stories. Revisiting these narratives in my Bible reading often shed "new light" in the process. The Holy Spirit continues to open my mind to see what I failed to see previously in the text. So this is the wondrous ministry of the Holy Spirit filling us with intended imaginations when we approach God's Word with reverence and eagerness to learn from Him.


Recently, it seems Hollywood had ran out of scripts again. After dwelling into the remaking business, they now turn their eyes on Biblical narratives like Noah, Moses and even Jesus Christ. To most of these directors, marketability is above accuracy. So we know for sure that there will be elements introduced to dramatise the account beyond (or even against) what the Bible records. Yet I wonder if I should watch them, even if the producers swear to place accuracy above profit. I wonder how these movies will impact my understanding of those Biblical accounts they are trying to portray. I am afraid that the next time i read about Moses, the images of Christian Bale will come flooding in, or worst still, for Noah, Russell Crowe's (oops!). I am afraid that the next time I read about the flooding and the ark or the parting of the Red Sea, the images in these films will occupy my mind so much so that the Holy Spirit is unable to lead me into deeper biblical imaginations beyond what these movies have to offer. In short, I am afraid that other than the gentle Holy Spirit, I have unknowingly invited the sticky holly spirit to join me in my meditation of the Scriptures. So other than the Holy Spirit, I now have the holly spirit inspiring me as i read the Bible (scary thought!).


I confess that my mental faculty is weak. It is hard to forget the visual images that I have been exposed to. It was more than a decade ago when I first watched the 1979's Jesus film (for the record, it was not a Hollywood production though released by Warner Bros). Ten years later, I still catch myself at times praying to that "Jesus" portrayed in the film. Somehow when I think of Jesus, the image of the actor comes flooding in automatically. Woe is me! I have since learnt my lesson and so resisted from watching Mel Gibson's The Passion of Christ even though I read reviews that it was a sincere good piece of work.  For I am afraid that my meditations on Christ the Person, His passion and His cross will become bounded to the movie's portrayal. 


You may find that I am edging towards being too paranoia. You may say watching a movie is merely for entertainment, so no need to take it too seriously. Maybe you are right and I am a paranoia. But I realised that I carry into my reading of God's Word a carnal filter, this filter is constantly stained by my worldly experiences. This stained filter hinders me a lot in hearing His voice clearly. What's in this world do stain this filter a lot. I need to be watchful and keep asking the Holy Spirit to wash this filter clean as I approach His Word.


Saying the above, I am not going on to say that all Christians therefore should refrain from watching these movies at all cost. But this is my advise to two groups of Christians:


Group 1: To the strong

You are strong in faith, in control of your mental capacity and know the Scriptures well. May I urge you to watch these movies as a critic, while enjoying the spectacular special effects and mesmerising acting by your favourite actors. Be able to differentiate what is biblical and what is extra-biblical. Be able to know what you need to shake off after watching the movie that will not become an integral part of your Bible knowledge. In addition, do not let these images constrain your ability to let the Holy Spirit inspire you to a deeper and wider imagination with regards to the biblical narratives. Do not let your mental capacity be held captive by these movies!


Group 2: To the weak

You are like me, whose mental faculty is weak. May I urge you to delay watching the movie. Rather, let this be a chance for you to open up your Bible and seek to be tutored by the Holy Spirit as you read the narrative account. Let the Holy Spirit fills you with lively biblical imaginations through the reading and meditation of the written text. Only then, when you felt stronger in faith, have a better grasp of the Biblical account, then you may feel ready to watch the movie as a critic. On the other hand, who knows, the Holy Spirit might had given you spectacular spiritual insights of the text so much so that your soul is well fed and you no longer have the hunger to watch the movie anymore! (want to try this?)


Final words. You ask again "So tell me, can a Christian watch Hollywood movies on biblical narratives?" I think it is permissible though not always beneficial. There is a need to be aware of the acute side effect that comes along with watching them. Watch it if you must, but next time when you approach God's Word, pray and invite the Holy Spirit to inspire you with biblical lively imaginations through the meditation of the written text. At the meantime, consciously cast out the sticky holly spirit in Jesus name!


Papa Rick Toh

10th April 2014