The Man Whisperer

A reflection in discipleship

Recently I was intrigued by a documentary series featured in National Geographic: "Dog whisperer". The series followed an expert dog trainer visiting various households having problem with their pet dog. I was deeply impressed by the trainer's ability to diagnose and solve the problem which the owner has on his/her dog.

 

One thing I learnt from him was that often times the dog’s behavioural problem was the result of an ambiguous relationship with its owner. He highlighted that dogs need to be led and ruled over properly.  They will lose their bearings if their owners do not lead them properly.  When the owner asserts his authority over the dog, the dog finds its rightful place and becomes rested. There were many incidences whereby the trainer taught the owners to gently assert their authority and presence over their dogs. It was amazing to see how their dogs become rested, docile and calm. Their behavioural problems disappeared!

 

A few months ago, a brother shared Psalms 73 in a meeting. The Psalmist of Psalm 73 wrestled in seeing how the righteous always seems to suffer for choosing righteousness, while the wicked that chooses to live life without accountability seems to live a carefree life and even prosper in this world. It is a difficult Psalm, I wrestled with this question too.


22 I was so foolish and ignorant—

      I must have seemed like a senseless animal to you.

 23 Yet I still belong to you;

      you hold my right hand.

 24 You guide me with your counsel,

      leading me to a glorious destiny.

 

Certainly I must have seemed like a senseless animal when I become bitter over the seemingly sweet portion of the wicked. I am like a dog that loses its bearing and becomes disturb and restless when it starts to pay more attention on the surrounding than its owner. In times like this, I need God to hold on to my right hand and exercise His assertive presence on me.  I need God to rule over me and let His gentle yet strong leadership calm me down. 


God is a man whisperer. He knows the way of man. 


I am owned by God, and I need to live under His authority to be able to function confidently in this wild wild world. I must learn to focus on Him, and let His gentle yet assertive presence reign over my soul, granting me peace and confident to live life forward.